All Order is built with a SQL Server back end which lends itself to high scalability and availability. There are times, however, when the user interface may slow down due to large lists. The lists that tend to grow the largest and cause speed issues are the customer and items lists. Here are a few tips to help speed All Orders up.
• From the Company menu click preferences and under General preferences select the My Preferences tab. Here there are many changes you can make to speed things up:
o Click “Don’t Save The Desktop” to prevent the system from opening any screens when opening up for the first time, preventing the possibility for large lists to try to open if you do not need them yet.
o Uncheck “Automatically refresh lists…” to prevent the system from refreshing lists without being prompted. Generally if there is a possibility that some information has been updated that might be displayed on a list, the system will refresh the list for you. As an example, if an item list is open and an attribute of an item is updated, the system will auto refresh the list. By turning this off, instead a message will display on the list notifying the user that information may have been changed and if the user wants to the list can be refreshed manually instead of the system doing it on its own.
o For large item lists, uncheck the “Filter item drop downs…” to speed up searching for and entering items on transactions. Check “Remove filtering from all…” if you also have other large lists, such as large customer lists, that take a long time to search on transactions.
o Under “Columns currently displayed…” remove any columns that are not necessary to load on item drop downs.
• Leave screens which load slowly open. Opening and refreshing lists are one of the most common tasks which take the longest. Once a list is open, leave it open and only tab over to it when needed but do not close it. Also do not refresh it unless necessary. Same thing goes for the transaction screens such as a Sales Order or Ship Doc. When done with a transaction leave the screen open and tab over to or open the next screen you need. There is no need to close the screen and force it to reload every time.
• Use the Lookup Mode on List. Beginning with Version 6.1.61, lists do not need to load when opened. Rather a search box is provided and only results requested are returned. Each list a user can activate the Lookup Mode from the list toolbar (List--> Lookup Mode).
>Another thing that you can do is to limit the # of months of data that each list loads. Go to COMPANY-->PREFERENCES-->SALES ORDERS
There is a preference that says " show only closed SO's this many months back". The default is 0 which will show all. Change the number to 2 or 3 months back to speed up list loading.
There is a similar option under the SD and WO preferences.
• Reindex the SQL database on a regular basis. To do this log into All Orders as the admin, go to the File menu, click Maintain, and then click Reindex.
• If the server/machine where the SQL database is hosted has limited resources you may benefit from upgrading the hardware. In addition, while the SQL database runs well under the free express version of SQL Server which suits the majority of our customers, you may benefit from purchasing the Standard version of SQL Server which will allow the database software to use more of the server/machines resources such as CPUs and RAM. Speak to your network administrator for more details on these upgrades.